Test Data Solutions for Health Care
Software testing requirements for health care industry applications are particularly complex and test data plays a central role. The health care industry generates a large volume and wide spectrum of Electronic Health Records (EHR) and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) that must adhere to strict data privacy regulations.
Successful software quality assurance and testing operations depend on test data that is not only secure, it must be controlled (i.e., data variations), clinically accurate and available in high volume to support the many forms of functional, load and regression testing. And often health care test data is needed to test compliance with Electronic Data Interchange standards like X12 EDI and HL7.
X12 EDI Test Data
As the official standards body, the Accredited Standards Committee, or ASC X12, has been chartered by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop and maintain EDI standards to support digital business processes for the health care industry in compliance with HIPAA standards. Typical EDI transactions for health care trading partners include:
- EDI 500 Medical Event Reporting
- EDI 820 Premium Payments
- EDI 834 Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance
- EDI 835 Health Care Claim Payment/Advice
- EDI 837 Health Care Claim
GenRocket has developed a turnkey solution to meet the challenge of provisioning X12 EDI test data in a simple and powerful way. Its EDI Test Data Solution Package for X12 EDI allows QA teams to generate real-time synthetic test data with full control over data variation and volume. The X12 EDI Solution Package is an available add-on to GenRocket’s Enterprise Edition software license.
The X12 EDI Test Data Solution includes an on-line store where XML Schema Definition (XSD) files can be browsed, selected and used to build out an entire X12 EDI test data project in less than 10 minutes. Then GenRocket’s X12 EDI Test Data Solution can be used to quickly customize X12 EDI documents to a specific health care organization’s internal standards.
The GenRocket solution streamlines X12 EDI test data provisioning in many ways:
- Self-service building & provisioning of clinically accurate X12 EDI test data
- Assured HIPAA compliance by using synthetic test data vs. production data
- Rapid test data case building with Test Data Permutations and Test Data Rules
- Data consistency and referential integrity across multiple EDI documents
- Customized X12 EDI documents to match internal organizational testing needs
- Blended EDI test data with actual program data (e.g., Member ID and Procedure Codes)
HL7 Test Data
HL7 is an international data interchange standard and the primary method for sharing data among clinical and non-clinical health care applications such as:
- Patient registration, tracking and scheduling applications
- Radiology, surgery, laboratory and pharmacy management
- Medical records, billing, purchasing and payroll systems,
- Any application related to in-patient or outpatient services
The health care industry mandates strict patient privacy and data security protocols restricting the use of Personally Identifiable Information (PII). GenRocket’s HL7 compatibility and its ability to generate 100% secure test data in real-time makes test data generation a perfect match for health care software testing environments.