What is G-Delta?
G-Delta (currently in development) is a lifecycle management tool used to monitor changes (deltas) between a local database’s metadata and a GenRocket Project Version whose Domains and Attributes represent the database model.
To use G-Delta, a user sets up a G-Delta Client on their local computer. The G-Delta Client can monitor one or more database schemas, with each schema being associated with a given GenRocket Project Version.
The G-Delta Client gets configured to extract a database’s schema over a defined time interval (e.g., Every 12 Hours). After extraction has occurred, the following set of steps will occur:
- The schema is encrypted and sent to the GenRocket web platform.
- The GenRocket web platform has a listener that looks for G-Delta files sent by the G-Delta Client.
- GenRocket will extract the schema and compare its related Project Version’s Domains and Attributes against the extracted schema.
- An Audit Report is created from this comparison and sent to one or more Organization Admins via email for validation.
- The Organization Admin will click on the link within the email and be sent to a G-Delta Review Form after logging into the GenRocket web platform.
- The Org Admin will then review the audit and verify each audit entry as a go or no go.
- Once finished, Org Admin will select to execute updates from the audit.
- GenRocket, in the background, performs refactoring based on the verified audit entries, marks each entry as completed upon its completion.
- GenRocket archives the audit for historical tracking.
Example Audit Items
- We think you have added a new Domain. Do you want to add this Domain to the Project Version?
- We think you deleted a Domain. Should it be removed from the Project Version?
- We think you have renamed this Domain. Should it be renamed in the Project Version?